Sunday 15 March 2009

Idar-Oberstein

Currently parked at Idar-Oberstein, on the river nahe.

Yesterday, I only managed about 35km due tko a late start messing round Trier sorting out maps (why on earth don´t they sell one for the south west quarter of Germany?

When I eventually worked out the direction I wanted to go, I realised I had pointed my nose in the direction of a small mountain range! Little wonder that having started at half 12 I only managed a piddly distance before the end of the day.

I found rather a grand camp site for a small village (Reinsfeld) which had rather nice warm showers and loos to make up for the sleeping-in-a-field bit. It wasn't really worth the 10 euro they charged for it! I was out of fuel for my stove so supper was tinned herring in curry sauce (YUCK! why did I buy that?!) and the last bit of chorizo. Not quite Chateau de Sauveterre standards.

On the way to the second mountain range this morning, I bumped into a couple of friendly German cyclists. Bernhard and Paul took me out for a few appletises and explained that the route I had set myself was headed for mountain after mountain all the way to the alps. After much map pointing and discussion, they agreed I should head down the Nahe, which in turn feeds the Rhine, and then to follow the Rhine all the way down. So that is the plan...but these can always change which is the joy of being on a bicycle with no ties!

Idar-Oberstein itself is a very spectacular little town with a church built into a rocky crag. I have the youth hostel all to myself (hope it´s not haunted!) and it is rather smart- the sheets are already on my bed with the towl in a fan shape avec chocolat on the summit.

I really have been surprised at how open, friendly and eager to help the Germans are. I am always in need of a little help from strangers, usually directions, andf they have been seriously helpful. Frank, the chap in the bike shop in Trier would not accept anything for a good half hour's skilled work getting my gears one and two back into action. If you are going to have a problem with a Rohloff speedhub, best to have it in Germany.

1 comment:

  1. Great to read this Humphrey, sounds like you are having a blast! Hope the kits is holding up well - I think i said something about Rohloff & Germany! I think you will be past Italy - Bolzano/Merano by the time i get there - May 9th...

    ReplyDelete