Thursday 9 April 2009

Ljubliana

Ljubljana from the castle
Into Slovenia!

Having had a glorious day in Trieste, the plan was to spend some time in Slovenia en route to Croatia. What I neglected to notice was that the Slovenian passage was only 40k, which would have been a morning. I cycled over the border to Koper, and then on a whim decided to get a train to Ljubliana for the day, and return to Koper tomorrow or the next day to continue the voyage. It is a shame to come here and not come to Ljubliana for the sake of a train ticket.

It is an absolutely charming city, incredibly clean and safe, and bikes go everywhere, including the pavements, which makes a change from draconian Munich! It is expensive- but worth it. The most delicious ice cream I have ever tastes comes from a little place near the main square, and at 2.40 was also the most expensive I have yet encountered.

A chap stopped me in the street to ask about my bike "Is that a Thorn?" because he has one too. He said it was the first time he has seen one in Slovenia! He also said that the Croatian costal route is very good which is great to hear.

I am staying in a hostel which is a converted prison- I am in cell number 215. Thankfully there are no communal showers, so I have no concerns about dropping the soap!




2 comments:

  1. Hey Humphrey!
    That sounds good to hear your trip is running well.i'm in Berlin right now and soon in Poland next week-end.

    Take care,buddy!

    See ya.

    Dominique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your travelling well too!

    ReplyDelete